Greek Chicken Thighs
- 12 skinless chicken thighs about 4 pounds
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or use white grape juice with a splash of vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sliced pitted Kalamata olives
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken and cook for 2 minutes per side or until browned.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add garlic to skillet and saute for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add wine (or juice/vinegar), scraping up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan; cook for 30 seconds; pour over chicken in slow cooker; add tomato paste, crushed red pepper flakes and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Stir in remaining salt and pepper, olives, and parsley.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Whole wheat couscous and stir-fried zucchini and yellow squash. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure dry white wine, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, and Kalamata olives are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 275 Calories; 9g Fat; 37g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 143mg Cholesterol; 1101mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 6.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!