Winter Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups peeled and cubed winter squash
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound low fat cream cheese cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and butter together in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and saute the onion till translucent.
- Add squash, broth, thyme and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- In a blender, puree squash mixture with the cream cheese (in batches) until smooth; return to the saucepan and heat through, BUT DON’T BOIL!
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a big spinach salad. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth is gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 300 Calories; 20g Fat; 13g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 689mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!