Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale with Penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 large butternut squash peeled, de-seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds kale chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1 pound penne pasta cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On a large baking sheet, toss together olive oil, onion, squash, garlic, salt and pepper; spread mixture evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes then add kale and basil; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until squash is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Transfer baked squash mixture to a large bowl; add hot pasta then toss with cheeses.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve sliced tomatoes on the side. Add some garlic toast. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Use gluten-free pasta. NUTRITION: 423 Calories; 11g Fat (21.4% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 72g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 16mg Cholesterol; 189mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!