Grilled Skirt Steaks with Spicy Black Beans
- 2 pounds beef skirt steak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper de-seeded and diced
- 1 15-oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate steaks for 20 minutes (see recipe). Place steaks on a large platter; cover their surface with 2 tablespoons of olive oil then sprinkle with parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add jalapeno, beans, cumin, salt and pepper; cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium heat; grill steaks for 5 minutes per side or until browned and fork-tender. Cut into slices and serve with warmed beans.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side. Add warm, buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Instead of beef, use portabella mushrooms. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned beans are gluten-free. NUTRITION: 399 Calories; 23g Fat (53.7% calories from fat); 33g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 77mg Cholesterol; 326mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!