Cube Steak and Gravy
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cube steaks 6 ounce
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2+ cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Up to 2 cups milk or water
- Season cube steaks with salt and pepper. In a shallow baking dish, pour the flour and press the steaks into the flour; shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the cube steak and cook until browned, 3 minutes per side.
- Pour enough water in skillet to almost cover the meat. Stir in beef bouillon and salt to taste into the water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until very tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove meat from the skillet. Leave 2 tablespoons of drippings in the skillet (saving the rest). Stir in 2 tablespoons flour.
- Stir until the flour has thickened and the gravy is smooth. Continue to cook until the flour is browned, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add back some of the previously removed drippings (fat removed). Add either milk or water, enough to make 2 cups. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Faux-Tay-Toes (Steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with grass fed butter, salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture) and steamed asparagus SERVING SUGGESTION: Mashed potatoes GLUTEN FREE: Make sure bouillon granules are gluten free and substitute flour with almond meal NUTRITION: Per Serving: 620 Calories; 44g Fat (65.2% calories from fat); 39g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 122mg Cholesterol; 158mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 5 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!