California Pork Chops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bone-in pork chops 1 inch thick
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat and brown the pork chops on both sides; transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add garlic to drippings; cook and stir for 1 minute until golden. Stir in the next 4 ingredients (soy sauce through red pepper). Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over chops. Cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove chops.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into slow cooker. Return chops to slow cooker and cook for 30 minutes more or until sauce is slightly thickened.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Garlicky Stir-Fried Baby Spinach (Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add 1 clove pressed garlic and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add 1 (10-oz) package baby spinach; cook, turning with tongs, until slightly wilted; drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste) and steamed carrots SERVING SUGGESTION: Whole wheat yeast rolls GLUTEN FREE: Make sure soy sauce is gluten free and avoid yeast rolls serving suggestion NUTRITION: Per Serving: 250 Calories; 13g Fat (48.0% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 655mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!