- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds extra-lean beef chuck cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups red wine or use additional beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add onions and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes. Add beef cubes; sear for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until browned.
- Transfer skillet contents to a large crock cooker then add remaining ingredients (broth through salt and pepper).
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Mashed russet potatoes and steamed broccoli spears. VEGETARIAN: Instead of beef, use 2 (15-ounce) cans drained and rinsed garbanzo beans and 2 cups frozen green peas. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth and wine are gluten-free. NUTRITION: 156 Calories; 9g Fat (75.3% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 59mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!