Beef and Veggie Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 16-oz. jar salsa
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 6 whole wheat Kaiser rolls split and toasted
- Cook beef in a large skillet over medium heat until brown, stirring to break meat into pieces; drain and blot off any excess fat; transfer to a slow cooker and add remaining ingredients, except rolls; stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big bowl of coleslaw (use a ready-made mix and toss with mayo and a little rice vinegar). Add a bowl of raw baby carrots to the table. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure salsa and tomato paste are gluten free. Use gluten free rolls. NUTRITION: Per Serving 347 Calories; 3g Fat; 13g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 740mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!