Turkey and Sweet Potato Stew
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 large shallots chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped kale
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the coconut oil. To the oil, add the shallots and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- To the shallot mixture, add the turkey and cook for 5 minutes, until brown.
- To the turkey, add the next 4 ingredients (celery through salt and pepper). Stir and cook for 5 minutes, then add the chicken broth and kale and stir.
- Reduce heat to low and cover pot. Simmer for 15 minutes, until turkey is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Baby spinach-beet salad. (Remove stems from baby spinach; roughly slice then place in a large bowl. Slice cooked or raw beets into “matchsticks” and arrange over baby spinach. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar). NUTRITION: 347 Calories; 14g Fat (34.8% calories from fat); 34g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 90mg Cholesterol; 668mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!