Tex Mex Chili Bake
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 4-oz. cans diced green chilis
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can tomatoes drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 8- inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute onions and garlic for 3 minutes add beef, cumin and chile powder and saute 5 to 6 minutes until the beef is browned.
- Stir in the chiles, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and cook 7 minutes.
- In a greased baking dish, add 2 tortillas on bottom cover with half of the beef mixture, cover with 2 tortillas and place remaining beef mixture on top and cover with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Warm Buttered Corn Muffins. VEGETARIAN: Portobello mushrooms (or omit beef.) GLUTEN FREE: Gluten-Free Tortillas. NUTRITION: 547 Calories; 31g Fat (50.5% calories from fat); 34g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 95mg Cholesterol; 272mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 4 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!