- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds extra-lean beef chuck cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large onions peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 medium stalks celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 28-oz. can plum tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine or use beef broth
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 pound Pappardelle (or wide long pasta) cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add beef cubes; sear for 5 minutes per side or until golden.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, salt and pepper; sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add tomatoes, wine, crushed red pepper flakes and basil. Raise skillet heat to medium; cook for 35 to 40 minutes or until beef is fork-tender and sauce has thickened.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Substitute beef with 3 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned tomatoes and wine (or broth) are gluten free. Use gluten free pasta. NUTRITION: 154 Calories; 11g Fat (69.2% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 158mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!