Spicy Beef Stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds extra-lean beef chuck cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red onion diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup dark beer or use beef broth
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth or use homemade
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add beef cubes; sear for 5 minutes per side or until golden.
- Transfer to a large crock cooker then add remaining ingredients (garlic through broth).
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve steamed cauliflower and broccoli florets on the side. VEGETARIAN: Substitute beef with sliced portabella mushrooms. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beer and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: 180 Calories; 10g Fat (47.8% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 190mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!