Slow Cooked Herbed Chicken and Veggies
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 1 large whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons minced rosemary
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large crock cooker, add the onions, carrots and celery.
- Using your fingers, loosen the skin from the chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 6 ingredients (oil through zest) and rub evenly under the skin of the chicken.
- Place the chicken over the vegetables and cover crock cooker. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken is fall apart tender.
- Remove chicken from bone and serve with vegetables.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Faux-tay-toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with ghee, salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture). NUTRITION: 593 Calories; 39g Fat (60.5% calories from fat); 49g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 235mg Cholesterol; 215mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 ½ Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!