- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or use low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the lamb and beef for 12 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Put pan back on the medium high heat and add onion and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Return ground meat to pan. Stir arrowroot starch into the wine and add to the pan. Cook until wine is evaporated and juices have thickened for 5 minutes. Stir in chopped rosemary and remove from heat. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot with a steamer basket, place cauliflower and garlic in water. Bring to a boil and steam for 4 minutes.
- Place cauliflower and garlic in a food processor, add butter and salt and pepper to taste and blend until smooth. Spread over the filling in the casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes, until filling is bubbling and cheese is melted. Serve hot.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed green beans. VEGETARIAN: Use sliced mushrooms instead of lamb and TVP crumbles instead of beef. Use low sodium vegetable broth if not using red wine. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure wine (or beef broth) is gluten-free. NUTRITION: 549 Calories; 45g Fat (75.9% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 140mg Cholesterol; 212mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 6 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!