Sausage and Veggie Bake with Sweet Potato Crust
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chopped Brussels sprouts
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced oregano
- 1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled, diced and steamed
- 3 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the sausage, onion and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, until sausage is brown.
- To the sausage mixture, add the next 5 ingredients (Brussels sprouts through broth).
- Stir and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- In a medium baking dish, pour the contents of the skillet.
- In a mixer, place the sweet potatoes, coconut milk and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Mix until smooth then spoon over the sausage mixture.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown on top and sausage mixture is bubbling. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed green beans. NUTRITION: 512 Calories; 33g Fat (57.3% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 81mg Cholesterol; 753mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!