Pureed Squash and Parsnip Chicken Soup
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 large parsnips chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth divided
- 1 14-oz. can full fat coconut milk
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped leek
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the first 5 ingredients (butternut squash through olive oil).
- On a large baking sheet, pour the contents of the bowl.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- To blender, place the roasted vegetables and 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Pulse until smooth.
- In a large pot, pour the pureed vegetables, the remaining broth and the coconut milk. Stir and cover.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to low and add the chicken and leek. Stir and serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad tossed with Leanne’s basic vinaigrette. (In a large bowl, toss together torn lettuce (not iceberg - no nutrition) and salad veggies of your choice. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 clove pressed garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad.) NUTRITION: 327 Calories; 8g Fat (20.4% calories from fat); 31g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 700mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!