- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder cubed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Season the pork with salt and pepper to taste. Add half of the pork to the skillet and brown it over MEDIUM HIGH heat for 12 minutes.
- Transfer the pork to the crock cooker. Repeat with the remaining pork.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, curry, cumin and turmeric and cook over LOW heat, stirring, until fragrant and the onion is softened for 5 minutes. Add the mixture into the crock cooker.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, coconut milk and broth, cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Spoon off as much fat from the surface of the stew as possible. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Stir-fried zucchini, yellow squash and red bell pepper. NUTRITION: 498 Calories; 38g Fat (68.8% calories from fat); 31g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 101mg Cholesterol; 367mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 4 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!