Hearty Southwest Sausage Soup
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large bell peppers chopped
- 2 large jalapeños chopped
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the sausage, onion and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes, until brown.
- To the pot, add the remaining 8 ingredients (bell pepper through sage), cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad tossed with Leanne’s basic vinaigrette. (In a large bowl, toss together torn lettuce (not iceberg - no nutrition) and salad veggies of your choice. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 clove pressed garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad.) NUTRITION: 508 Calories; 40g Fat (69.7% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 61mg Cholesterol; 605mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!