Chicken Osso Buco
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 large onions diced
- 2 medium stalks celery diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup dry white wine or use chicken broth
- 1 14.5-oz. can plum tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a large bowl; add flour and toss to coat well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add chicken and sear for 5 minutes per side or until golden.
- Add carrots, onions, celery and garlic; sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add remaining 7 ingredients (wine through salt and pepper).
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, cover and cook for 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Garnish each serving with Gremolata (toss together 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste). Add sliced grilled polenta on the side and a salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, avocado and cucumber, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. VEGETARIAN: Grill non-breaded faux chicken patties and add to osso buco just before serving. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure wine, canned tomatoes and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: 311 Calories; 12g Fat (37.6% calories from fat); 31g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 107mg Cholesterol; 311mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!