Chicken and Cabbage Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs chopped; *Partially frozen chicken is easier to chop.
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large crock cooker; stir to combine well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Turnip Fries – Peel turnips and cut into “fries”; toss with olive oil then bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, until tender. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. NUTRITION: 281 Calories; 6g Fat (18.8% calories from fat); 39g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 95mg Cholesterol; 823mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!