- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds pork shoulder cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 large onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 15-oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and sear the pork and bacon for 3 to 5 minutes until browned.
- In a large slow cooker, add pork and remaining 5 ingredients (onions through pepper) cook on low for 8 hours until pork is cooked through.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad (lettuce - no iceberg, salad veggies and salad dressing). VEGETARIAN: Use canned white beans instead of pork shoulder and omit bacon. Use low sodium vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure chicken broth is gluten free. NUTRITION: 473 Calories; 27g Fat (52.1% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 84mg Cholesterol; 308mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!