Black Bean Soup with Jalapeño Cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 small jalapeno seeded and chopped (or to taste)
- 1 lime juiced
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute onions, bell peppers and garlic for 5 minutes, add beans, broth, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, puree half of the soup. Return to the pot and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add yogurt, cream, cilantro, jalapeno and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Serve soup with jalapeno cream.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Baked Sweet Potatoes. VEGETARIAN: Substitute low sodium vegetable broth for chicken broth. NUTRITION: 372 Calories; 10g Fat (22.9% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 49g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 371mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!