Barbecued Duck and Kale Salad
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless skinless duck breast chopped
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1/3 cup chopped fennel bulb
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat coconut oil. To the skillet, add the onion and salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender and caramelized.
- To the skillet, add the duck.
- In a blender, add the next 4 ingredients (dates to chicken broth) with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Blend until smooth and pour over the duck. Cook for 15 minutes, until duck is cooked through and barbecue sauce has thickened.
- In a large bowl, add the kale and fennel. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the duck to the kale mixture. Toss and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed Broccoli, Green Beans or Asparagus. (Steam broccoli, green beans or asparagus until slightly tender.) NUTRITION: 365 Calories; 11g Fat (25.6% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 87mg Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!