Baked Italian Eggplant
- 2 small eggplants sliced lengthwise
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 pound tomatoes sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup non fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season the eggplant slices with salt and pepper. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 12 minutes.
- Coat a large glass baking dish with olive oil and cover the bottom with eggplant slices. Ladle half of the tomato sauce over the eggplant and top with half of the tomato slices.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of the dried basil, and 1 tablespoon of the Italian seasoning, salt and ground pepper to taste. Spread half of the ricotta over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with half the shredded mozzarella.
- Repeat the layers, ending with mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes. Then place under the broiler until the cheese turns golden.
- Let it rest for 7 minutes to set up. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato sauce is gluten-free. NUTRITION: 163 Calories; 5g Fat (26.4% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 9mg Cholesterol; 450mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!