Asparagus and Wild Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound asparagus spears tough ends removed and chopped
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 cup wild rice cooked according to package directions
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add olive oil and sauté onion, carrots, celery, and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes until vegetables are fork tender.
- Add thyme, red pepper flakes and wine and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, stir in asparagus, lemon juice and zest, rice, and sea salt and freshly ground pepper and cook 5 to 7 minutes until asparagus is fork tender.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Crusty loaf of bread. NUTRITION: 219 Calories; 5g Fat (20.8% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 370mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 ½ Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!