Turkey Quinoa Bake
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 medium cloves garlic minced
- 5 large handfuls chopped spinach
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Put in a large mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil. Set aside. Preheat a large skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add turkey and sauté for 5 minutes breaking into pieces with the spatula.
- Drain the excess liquid and add to the bowl with quinoa. Return skillet to the heat and coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic and onions, and fry until golden brown. Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Transfer to a bowl with quinoa and turkey.
- Into the same bowl, add tomato sauce, bread crumbs, 1 cup cheese, thyme, basil, and salt and ground pepper to taste. Mix enough to combine.
- Transfer the mixture in the baking dish, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake for 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Stir-fried zucchini and yellow squash. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles instead of ground turkey. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato sauce and bread crumbs are gluten-free. NUTRITION: 606 Calories; 24g Fat (34.6% calories from fat); 50g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 131mg Cholesterol; 936mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain (Starch); 5 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!