Thyme Chicken with Mushrooms
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil separated
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups halved mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 white wine or use low sodium chicken broth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Pound chicken breast with a meat mallet between 2 sheets of waxed paper until meat is 1/4-inch thick. Cut into serving-sized pieces.
- In a deep sauté pan over medium heat, heat the butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Dredge chicken in flour. Add to hot oil in skillet. Sauté until golden for 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining olive oil to hot skillet. Sauté mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms begin to brown. Add wine to skillet, scraping up all the browned bits that are at the bottom of the pan. To the mushrooms add the thyme and stir.
- Add the chicken back to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan. Add the cream and heat through. To the pan, add the cheese stirring constantly over low heat until cheese melts.
- Continue cooking until sauce is reduced by about half. Add chicken back to pan and heat through. Serve hot.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed green beans and faux-tay-toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with butter, cream cheese, and salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture). GLUTEN FREE: Make sure flour and white wine (or chicken broth) is gluten-free. NUTRITION: 496 Calories; 27g Fat (56.2% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 131mg Cholesterol; 474mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; ½ Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!