Sweet Potato Beef Stew
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound beef stew meat cubed
- 5 cups low sodium beef broth or use homemade
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped celery
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add beef and cook for 10 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (broth through thyme). Reduce heat to low then cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beef and vegetables are fork-tender. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed broccoli florets and Faux-Tay-Toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with ghee, salt and pepper till you get a mashed potatoes texture). NUTRITION: 384 Calories; 14g Fat (32.2% calories from fat); 40g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 62mg Cholesterol; 157mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!