Spicy Sausage with Warm Lentil Salad
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 spicy sausages
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- In a large pot, add lentils covered with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes until tender. Drain lentils and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat, and sauté garlic, carrots, red onion, thyme and sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste for 5 to 7 minutes until vegetables are fork tender.
- In a large bowl, add lentils and vegetables and stir to combine. Crumble the cheese on top.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and sauté sausages for 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve sausages with lentil salad.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed green beans. VEGETARIAN: Use tofu instead of sausages. GLUTEN FREE: No changes necessary. NUTRITION: 332 Calories; 20g Fat (52.2% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 29mg Cholesterol; 233mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!