Roast Chicken and Root Vegetable Salad
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts 6-ounce
- 3 large carrots cut into 1cubes
- 3 medium parsnips cut into 1cubes
- 1 medium acorn squash or any variety squash, peeled and cut into 1 cubes
- 2 large shallots quartered
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 large avocado
- 4 cups salad greens
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- On a large roasting pan, add chicken, carrots, parsnips, squash, shallots and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Roast 30 to 35 minutes until chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
- In a blender or food processor, add 2/3 of the carrots, 2/3 of the parsnips, 1/2 the squash, shallots, remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, apple juice, honey, vinegar and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Blend 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes and toss with remaining vegetables, avocado, salad greens and vinaigrette.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Baked russet potatoes with favorite fixings. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties instead of chicken breasts. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure apple juice and apple cider vinegar are gluten free. NUTRITION: 508 Calories; 19g Fat (33.0% calories from fat); 43g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 99mg Cholesterol; 150mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 5 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!