Penne with Spicy Sausage
- 6 spicy sausages cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 pound penne pasta cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- On a large baking sheet, place sausage and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until cooked through. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat and sauté onion and garlic for 5 minutes, add sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, tomatoes, basil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add ricotta, red pepper flakes and sausages and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add penne and cook 1 to 2 minutes until warm. Serve with cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Tossed salad VEGETARIAN: Tofu GLUTEN FREE: Gluten free noodles NUTRITION: 614 Calories; 28g Fat (41.3% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 64g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 56mg Cholesterol; 361mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!