- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 3 pounds mushrooms chopped (any variety)
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup white wine or low sodium vegetable broth
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes, add mushrooms and thyme and cook 5 minutes.
- Add rice, sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and wine and 1 cup of the broth and cook, stirring often until the liquid is absorbed, continue adding broth 1 cup at a time, add another cup as soon as it is absorbed.
- The rice should be tender, it should take 20 minutes to allow all of the broth to be absorbed. Stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Tossed Salad. Lettuce (not iceberg), salad veggies (of your choice) and salad dressing. NUTRITION: 426 Calories; 8g Fat (18.3% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 64g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 466mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!