Mexican Beef Stuffed Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth or use homemade
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 large avocado pitted, peeled and sliced
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add first 7 ingredients (chili powder through garlic); blend well. Cook for 10 minutes then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add ground beef and onion. Cook for 10 minutes or until beef is brown and onion is tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut cabbage in half, remove core then carefully peel off leaves. Spoon about 1/4 cup of ground beef/onion mixture into each leaf and roll up. Place cabbage rolls, seam sides down, in a large baking dish and pour tomato sauce over the tops. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cabbage leaves are tender.
- Serve warm. You can shred and steam any remaining cabbage and serve the cabbage rolls on top.
SERVING SUGGESTION: On the side, serve Cucumber and Jicama Slaw: Cut cucumber and jicama into matchsticks and place them in a bowl; drizzle with honey, lime juice, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste; toss well. NUTRITION: 437 Calories; 32g Fat (64.7% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 85mg Cholesterol; 266mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!