Mediterranean Fish Stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup white wine or low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium Idaho potatoes peeled and cubed
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 pounds cod or any firm fleshed white fish, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onion, garlic and fennel for 8 to 10 minutes until soft, add tomatoes, red pepper, broth, wine, potatoes and sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender, add fish and cook 5 to 7 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve with basil.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Crusty Loaf of Bread Serve with butter. VEGETARIAN: Replace fish with tempeh. NUTRITION: 308 Calories; 8g Fat (25.9% calories from fat); 34g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 65mg Cholesterol; 329mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!