Italian Sausage Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 pound Italian sausage sliced
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 small turnips chopped
- 1 can low sodium chicken broth or use homemade, 14.5 ounce
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, add olive oil, onions and sausage. Cook over MEDIUM heat for 8 minutes until sausage is browned. Add water and stir, scraping the bits on the bottom for 2 minutes.
- In a large pot, add the skillet contents. Then add cabbage, turnips, broth, caraway seeds and honey. Reduce heat to LOW and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute longer and serve soup hot.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure chicken broth and red wine vinegar are gluten free. NUTRITION: 501 Calories; 39g Fat (70.0% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 86mg Cholesterol; 1333mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 6 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!