Ham and Fennel Stew
- 1 pound ham chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 small fennel bulbs chopped
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 2 large parsnips chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: In a large bowl, toss together first 4 ingredients (ham through coriander); blend well.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ham and onion; cook for 10 minutes or until ham has browned.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (fennel through broth). Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes or until ham is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed green beans and Faux-Tay-Toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with ghee, salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture). NUTRITION: 404 Calories; 16g Fat (35.3% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 65mg Cholesterol; 1846mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!