Fresh Mexican Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large diced tomato diced
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado chopped
- In a small bowl mix together the first 6 ingredients (chili powder through paprika). Set aside.
- In a large crock cooker on LOW heat setting, add chicken and chicken broth, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, diced tomatoes and salt and pepper.
- Now whisk in the bowl of spices. Cover with a lid and cook for 8 hours.
- At the end of 8 hours remove chicken and shred. Replace the chicken in the crock cooker and add the fresh cilantro and avocado. Serve immediately.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Garlicky Stir-Fried Baby Spinach Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add 1 clove pressed garlic and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add 1 (10-oz) package baby spinach; cook, turning with tongs, until slightly wilted; drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. NUTRITION: 160 Calories; 9g Fat (45.5% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 294mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!