Fresh Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced into tenders
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- 1 32-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken tenders in a large baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil and sprinkle with spices (garlic powder through pepper).
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, flipping the chicken at the halfway point.
- Pull into small chunks and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion.
- Cook for 9 minutes. Add garlic and sea salt to taste and cook for another minute before adding the bay leaf, water, and chicken stock.
- Increase heat to high, bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, stir in noodles, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cooked chicken, dill, and lemon juice. Serve immediately.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Whole grain rolls with butter and a big salad (lettuce -not iceberg-, salad veggies, and salad dressing). VEGETARIAN: Use canned white beans instead of chicken breasts and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure chicken broth and egg noodles are gluten-free. NUTRITION: 391 Calories; 16g Fat (37.0% calories from fat); 34g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 84mg Cholesterol; 647mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!