- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 large stalks celery diced
- 1 large potato diced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound cod
- 1 pound scallops
- In a large pot, melt butter and then sauté the onions and celery over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the potato and add enough chicken broth to cover. Cook until the potato is just barely tender for 10 minutes. Add the basil, oregano, celery salt, pepper, salt, paprika and tabasco sauce.
- Layer the fish and scallops on top. Add just enough chicken broth to cover again. Cook 15 minutes until fish barely flakes.
- Add cream, and then fill the pot to the top with the milk. Allow the chowder to warm through and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad (lettuce -not iceberg-, salad veggies, and salad dressing). VEGETARIAN: Use tempeh instead of cod and chopped eggplant instead of scallops. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure chicken broth and Tabasco sauce are gluten-free. NUTRITION: 500 Calories; 30g Fat (53.1% calories from fat); 38g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 155mg Cholesterol; 1606mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 5 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!