Coconut Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 large jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 2 teaspoons hot curry powder
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup white wine or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and sear chicken 3 to 5 minutes per side until golden.
- In a large slow cooker, add chicken and next 9 ingredients (onion through salt and pepper) cook on low for 8 hours until chicken is cooked through.
- In a large blender or food processor, puree soup in batches. Serve with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad. VEGETARIAN: Use canned white beans instead of chicken thighs and adjust cook time. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure white wine (or chicken broth) is gluten-free. NUTRITION: 422 Calories; 23g Fat (50.2% calories from fat); 46g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 191mg Cholesterol; 210mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!