Butternut Squash Chicken Soup
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium parsnips chopped
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 large ribs celery chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, add all the ingredients (chicken broth through chicken) and stir well. Cover soup and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until soup comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center, serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad tossed with Leanne’s basic vinaigrette. (In a large bowl, toss together torn lettuce (not iceberg - no nutrition) and salad veggies of your choice. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 clove pressed garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad.) NUTRITION: 369 Calories; 3g Fat (7.3% calories from fat); 44g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 906mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!