- 3 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 medium red potatoes cubed
- 3 large carrots loosely chopped
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown the meat on one side for 5 minutes without turning over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Turn meat, add 1 teaspoon oil and brown another 2 minutes. With all the meat browned and in the pan, reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir 2 minutes until onion is browned. Add stock to cover the meat, salt, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, stir in potatoes, carrots and celery and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes until vegetables are done.
- Whisk flour with 1/4 cup stock until there are no lumps. Stir into stew and cook 5 more minutes until thickened. Serve hot.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Crusty Loaf of Bread Serve with butter. VEGITARIAN: Replace beef with mushrooms. NUTRITION: 585 Calories; 33g Fat (52.2% calories from fat); 45g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 151mg Cholesterol; 1553mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!