Bacon Pear Salad with Spiced Pecans
- 1 pound bacon chopped
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 small red onion sliced
- 2 medium pears sliced
- 2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon. Cook for 10 minutes, until bacon is brown and very crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate and discard all but ½ tablespoon of bacon fat from skillet.
- Reduce heat to low. To the skillet, add the pecans, cayenne pepper, honey and salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, layer the spinach, onion, pears, bacon and pecans. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 4 ingredients (coconut milk through syrup) and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Turnip fries (peel turnips and cut into “fries”; toss with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, until tender; season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder). NUTRITION: 747 Calories; 61g Fat (71.8% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 72mg Cholesterol; 1384mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fruit; 9 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!