Bacon Arugula Salad with Spiced Apple Chunks
- 1 pound bacon chopped
- 1 cup sliced apple
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 small red onion sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced radish
- 2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon. Cook for 10 minutes, until bacon is brown and very crispy.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate and discard all but ½ tablespoon of bacon fat from skillet.
- Reduce heat to low. To the skillet, add the apple, cinnamon, honey and salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, layer the arugula, onion, radish, bacon and apple.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 4 ingredients (coconut milk through maple syrup) and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Sweet potato fries (peel sweet potatoes and cut into “fries”; toss with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, until tender; season to taste with salt, pepper and chili powder). NUTRITION: 548 Calories; 43g Fat (72.0% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 72mg Cholesterol; 1369mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; ½ Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 6 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!