Bacon and Mushroom Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 8 large leaves Romaine lettuce
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: In a large bowl, thoroughly combine first 4 ingredients (ground turkey through oregano); form mixture into patties.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add turkey patties; cook for 4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add the bacon; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes per side or until very crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Discard half of the bacon drippings from the skillet then add the mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- To serve, layer: 1 lettuce leaf, 1 turkey burger, 2 slices of bacon, 1/4 of the mushrooms and the remaining lettuce leaf.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Turnip Fries – Peel turnips and cut into “fries”; toss with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, until tender, then season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. NUTRITION: 281 Calories; 19g Fat (62.0% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 100mg Cholesterol; 311mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!