Autumn Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into florets and steamed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon full fat coconut milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a food processor, blend cauliflower, salt and pepper and coconut milk until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the beef, onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes then add the remaining ingredients (squash through vegetable broth) and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, until beef is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- In a large baking dish, pour the beef mixture. Pour the cauliflower puree over the beef mixture and smooth evenly over the beef mixture.
- Place pie in the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until cauliflower mixture is brown on top. Slice and serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Braised Kale (Remove ribs from greens. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Gradually add greens and cook, turning with tongs, until slightly wilted; add 1 cup of water or broth and salt and pepper to taste; cover and simmer for 5 minutes) NUTRITION: 414 Calories; 31g Fat (67.0% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 96mg Cholesterol; 122mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 4 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!