Taco Turkey Skillet
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 large bell peppers diced
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup long grain white rice uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large green onion chopped
- Brown turkey in a large frying pan on medium high heat. When turkey is lightly browned, add diced onions and peppers. Cook until turkey is fully cooked and onions and peppers are soft.
- Add the can of tomatoes with liquid in it. The add salsa, rice, water and stock. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in spices (cumin through paprika) and cover.
- Let simmer on low until rice is soft and liquid has cooked off.
- Add cheese and stir until it melts. Top with green onion and serve immediately.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Sautéed zucchini, yellow squash and red bell pepper. VEGETARIAN: Use canned white beans instead of ground turkey and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned tomatoes and salsa are gluten free. NUTRITION: 342 Calories; 13g Fat (35.1% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 80mg Cholesterol; 744mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!