Sweet Potato Beef Stew
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound beef stew meat chopped
- 5 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped celery
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the coconut oil.
- To the pot, add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until onions have cooked down and are fragrant. Add beef to the onion and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, until beef is brown.
- To the pot, add the remaining ingredients, beef broth to thyme, and stir. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, until beef and vegetables are tender. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Chopped Baby Bok Choy/Steamed Baby Carrots and Snow Peas (finely chop baby Bok choy. Steam baby carrots till tender; add snow peas and continue to steam for 2 to 3 minutes or until snow peas are tender-crisp.) NUTRITION: 385 Calories; 14g Fat (32.1% calories from fat); 40g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 62mg Cholesterol; 157mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!