Chicken and Bell Pepper Enchiladas
- 1/2 large white onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 large bell peppers diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Sauté onion until slightly browned. Add the garlic and the next 4 ingredients (chili powder through salt). Cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce and water and bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set sauce aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté pepper and onions for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer the bottom of a large casserole dish with shredded chicken. Top with the peppers and onions.
- Pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with cheese and green onion. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve hot.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Mexi-cauli-rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” till tender; drain; salt, pepper, ground cumin, chopped green onions and lime juice to taste then fluff with a fork). GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato sauce is gluten free. NUTRITION: 426 Calories; 16g Fat (34.4% calories from fat); 51g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 132mg Cholesterol; 1232mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!