- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 6 tilapia filets
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lime zestes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 1 14.5-oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 large avocado diced
- 1 cup lettuce shredded
- 1 cup purple cabbage shredded
- 2 large limes cut into wedges
- Mix first 6 ingredients (chili powder through oregano) in a small dish.
- Sprinkle seasonings over the tilapia filets along with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add minced garlic and sauté with the tilapia filets. Sear the fish on each side for 3 minutes until it is flaky.
- Put on a platter and sprinkle fish with lime zest.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, corn, red onion and red bell pepper to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes to sear. Begin to stir and cook for 2 minutes longer until tender. Add in black beans and heat for 1 minute more.
- Top fish with black bean mixture, cilantro, avocado, lettuce, cabbage and lime wedges.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Jasmine rice with steamed asparagus. VEGETARIAN: Use tempeh instead of tilapia fillets. GLUTEN FREE: No changes necessary. NUTRITION: 307 Calories; 7g Fat (18.5% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 27mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!